Lock Problem

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Jan 2 15:30:09 GMT 2002

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Pietro wrote:

>   We have some database dos programs runing under Linux with dosemu on
> the client side connected to Linux server runing samba, and want to do
> register locks in a local directory mounted with smbmount. In samba 2.0
> this was not possible (files become corrupted).
> Can samba 2.2 do the trick?. We don't want to use micro$oft lan manager
> for DOS.

Samba is not involved here, so 2.0 or 2.2 makes no difference. The problem
you are seeing is that smbfs, a kernel filesystem, does not implement file
locking. The result is that the linux client (dosemu) thinks it gets the
requested lock but the server has not granted that lock.

I also don't know if running programs in dosemu will make the lock
requests reach smbfs or not. If it does not then changing smbfs will not
help.

There are some experimental patches for smbfs, but nothing that is ready
for production use. If you feel comfortable building your own linux
kernels then I can send you the address of the patches. But there is
nothing that says they will work.

/Urban