smbmount and NT ACLs

Rob Helmer robert at namodn.com
Wed Jan 2 09:54:02 GMT 2002

Hello,

I have searched the archives and could not find previous discussion about this,
please point me in the right direction if I missed it.

I have Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 set up with Samba 2.2.2 ( from source ) and the
Linux ACL patch installed in the kernel. With winbindd set up correctly, it
works great with NT ACLs!

I do have one question : I would like to transition the files from the
current fileserver ( which is also the PDC ) to my Samba server which
has a NetBIOS alias of "fileserver".

Instead of simply copying the files, I would like to do something trickier
in the meantime, like using smbmount to re-export the shares from the PDC
to the Samba box.

I don't seem to have any problem mounting shares on the Samba box with
smbmount and re-exporting them using Samba, but smbmount does not seem
to support ACLs.. am I missing a configure switch?

P.S. I'd like to note that this would only be a temporary situation until I
get a new Samba file server up, which will take over the "fileserver" NetBIOS
name and serve the shares up for real.

Thanks,
Rob Helmer