SAMBA stopped working after a system crash

Axel Machens machens at nibis.de
Wed Jan 2 08:12:03 GMT 2002

Hello Gerry,

GS> Joel Hammer wrote:
>>
>> I think smbd is running. The STATUS..LCK file is not used with samba when
>> you compile from sources, so, it much be something in the samba startup
>> script.
>> Everything you show:
>> 1. Address in use
>> 2. netstat -a
>> 3. messages
>> 4. log.smb
>> All indicate that samba is running.
>> Try netstat -ap | grep bios
>> and see if you get:
>>
>> tcp  0  0 *:netbios-ssn  *:*  LISTEN 1458/smbd
>>                                           ^^^^

GS> Joel,

GS> Here's the result:

GS> # netstat -ap | grep bios
GS> (Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
GS>  will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
GS> tcp        0      0 192.168.40.:netbios-ssn *:*
GS> LISTEN      838/vmware-smbd
GS> udp        0      0 192.168.1.1:netbios-dgm
GS> *:*                                 2999/nmbd
GS> udp        0      0 192.168.1.11:netbios-ns
GS> *:*                                 2999/nmbd
GS> udp        0      0 *:netbios-dgm
GS> *:*                                 2999/nmbd
GS> udp        0      0 *:netbios-ns
GS> *:*                                 2999/nmbd
GS> udp        0      0 192.168.40.:netbios-dgm
GS> *:*                                 836/vmware-nmbd
GS> udp        0      0 192.168.40.1:netbios-ns
GS> *:*                                 836/vmware-nmbd
GS> udp        0      0 *:netbios-dgm
GS> *:*                                 836/vmware-nmbd
GS> udp        0      0 *:netbios-ns
GS> *:*                                 836/vmware-nmbd

GS> It does not seem positive. BTW, I was root when I ran it.

GS> Any more guesses?

GS> Gerry

I have a problem with vmware with smbserver includet (vmware have a
smbd deamon onboard when you install it to share something from linux)
After I start vmware I can´t work with the *normaly* installed samba.
I think, the samba deamon is running from VMWARE !!!! Not the samba
server!!!
Stop all VMware and than start the samba server with smbd -D and nmbd
-D.

This is without garantie:o) But in the past I have some problems like
you with Samba and VMware (VMware with installed samba shareserver).

Sorry for my bad English :)

Hope it help´s

Axel

ps. pleas send me a mail, when your problem is stoppt.