Mandatory windows settings (profiles)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Tue Jan 1 21:09:02 GMT 2002

#1 is trivial.  Grab the MS Office Resource Kit and the Win2k system
policy editior.  There is a policy template in the resouce kit that lets
you set that (come to think of it, it might even be in the default
policy set).  Likewise you might want to enforce setting the AutoRecover
directory as H:\AutoRecover, which saves embarising docs ending up in
c:\ :-)

I think you can kill off the tutor as well but I've not done it.

As to netscape, its not quite so simple, becouse netscape keeps its
setting in prefs.js, not it the registry.  You might be able to setup a
system policy to make netscape keep its profile things on the server,
but it will still prompt to setup the profile for the first time, unless
you already provide it when they create their home dir.

Andrew Bartlett
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net