Configuring Samba 2.2.2

Martin Perlin mperlin at msn.com
Tue Jan 1 17:37:02 GMT 2002

I am attempting to set up Samba on a small network with one Sunblade 100
workstation running Solaris 8, one Win98Se machine and one Win2000
server.  The installation of the binaries went well but on configuring
SWAT by adding “swat   901/tcp” to the end of the /etc/services file I
received the error message “this file is read only”.  Must I configure
both DNS and WINS on my Windows machines and if so how does one
accomplish this?  Do I need to list my Windows machines as nameservers
with their corresponding IP addresses in etc/hosts file?  What is the
best way of configuring the all important smb.conf file in my
/usr/local/samba/lib directory?  As you can tell I am a newbie to Samba
and would most appreciate any and all advice.  Thanks again, Martin
Perlin mperlin at msn.com or call (203)856-0185 anytime!