Samba Newbie

Dennis K Grow dkgrow at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 1 12:21:07 GMT 2002

Charles Marcus wrote:

> [...]

only if you have enabled swat in /etc/xinetd.d/swat first.

> > b) ensure that swat will start on system boot.
>
> Again, depends on the system.  Again, for Redhat 7.x:
>
> chkconfig --list
> will show you how everything is currently set, and
>
> man chkconfig will tell you how to change them, ie:
>
> chkconfig --level 3 swat on

If you did this, you will see that it does absolutely nothing.

> will cause swat to be started automatically when the box is started in
> runlevel 3.

No it won't. There is no init script for swat.

> Hope this helped...
>
> Charles

swat is a server controlled by the super server xinetd. Xinetd listens on all service ports for the services listed in it's configuration file.

/etc/xinetd.conf. This config file includes all the files in /etc/xinetd.d as part of the configuration. Swat must be enabled for xinetd to start it:

in /etc/xinetd.d/swat:

change disable = yes to disable = no

restart xinetd:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart

if you: chkconfig --list

you will see swat listed under "xinetd based services"

Dennis

--
Dennis K. Grow
RedHat 7.2  Kernel: 2.4.13  KDE: 2.2-10  ALSA: 0.5.11