Error connecting from XP Pro

Abdallah Ghassan ang_lists at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 1 05:22:02 GMT 2002

Hello List,

I have been trying to connect from an XP Pro box to
the samba (2.2.2 from RPM on RH7.2) machine. I am
trying a simple (!) configuration with just a
WORKGROUP setup.

XP sees the the box running samba (in the My Network
Places) but cannot see anything below that. I get
"\\BLACK is not accessible. You might not have
permission to use this network resource ..."
Checking the archives of this list I saw many issues
regarding using encrypted passwords and such when
connecting from Win2k or XP, I tried this but did not
work. I feel like I am missing something, I mean it
shouldn't be this hard since no one's had any trouble
(worth mentioning in this list!)

Below is my samba conf file:
--------------------------
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = FUNINC
        netbios name = BLACK
        server string = Samba Server
        security = SHARE
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        password level = 6
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
        dns proxy = No

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[DOCs]
        comment = These are my documents
        path = /usr/share/doc
        read only = No
        create mask = 076
        guest ok = Yes
----------------------------------

and here's the message I get in my /var/log/messages :

Jan  1 14:31:38 blackhole smbd[3571]: [2002/01/01
14:31:38, 0] smbd/connection.c:yield_connection(62)
Jan  1 14:31:38 blackhole smbd[3571]:
yield_connection: tdb_delete for name  failed with
error Record does not exist.

So, what am I missing here?
Thank you for any ideas, pointers.

Abdallah Deeb,