Please help me!

A.J. Leitell lordacid at lcisp.com
Fri Jan 4 16:16:19 GMT 2002

Ok I have Solaris 7 on a pentium 133 mhz machine.

I downloaded the source files, compiled them using gcc (configure, make,
etc) and then edited the /etc/services file for netbios and swat as follows:

swat                  901/tcp
netbios-ssn     139/tcp
netbios-ns       137/udp

I edited /etc/inetd.conf as follows:

swat                 stream     tcp       nowait.400    root   /opt/bin/swat
swat
netbios-ssn     stream     tcp       nowait            root   /opt/bin/smbd
smbd
netbios-ns       dgram      udp      wait                root
/opt/bin/nmbd    nmbd

I have installed Samba in /opt.
If you install samba in /usr/local (many use /usr/local as their catch-all
for non-Sun packages) then you must change the path above to
/usr/local/bin/swat, /usr/local/bin/smbd, /usr/local/bin/nmbd.
I rebooted the solaris machine ( you can restart inetd by finding the
process number ("ps -ef" or "pgrep inetd")
and then executing a "kill -HUP" for that process number (usually around 195
for inetd).

This will allow you to access swat in your web browser by pointing to
http://localhost:901

one note:  you may have to execute an xhost localhost command to use your
web browser as root.

then I used SWAT (it comes with the samba source).  to setup my shares.