[Samba] suggestion: small amendment to Printing How-to

peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Thu Feb 28 20:52:08 GMT 2002

Hi, I have a very small suggested amendment to Chapter 6 of the
"Samba How-To Collection" document.

This is the chapter about printing.

The change I would like to see may seem trivial,
but as a relative Samba Newbie, I took a while to figure out
this section of the documentation...

     "Once you have created the required [print$] service and associated
subdirectories, simply log onto the Samba
     server using a root (or printer admin) account from a Windows NT 4.0
client. Navigate to the "Printers"
     folder on the Samba server. You should see an initial listing of printers
that matches the printer shares defined
     on your Samba host."

It took me a while to work out how I was supposed to "navigate to the printers
folder on the Samba server"
and I wasn't sure just what printers folder the doco was referring to.

I'd like to suggest this tiny amendment to the wording...

     "Once you have created the required [print$] service and associated
subdirectories, simply log onto the Samba
     server using a root (or printer admin) account from a Windows NT 4.0
client.   Open "Network Neighbourhood" or
     "My Network Places" and  navigate to the "Printers" folder on the Samba
server.
     You should see an initial listing of printers that matches the printer
shares defined on your Samba host."

I think this change would help some people and would not hinder anyone.
I may look a little silly, but I hope this will help someone else.

Thanks for your time.

-peter.

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads,
Queensland Transport or National Transport Secretariat, or
endorsed organisations utilising the same infrastructure.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete the message
from your computer.