[Samba] Mounting smbfs as guest at boot time

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Thu Feb 28 20:26:02 GMT 2002

Here are two ways that work on my redhat 7.1 box.
1. Let the fancy startup scripts do their magic. There is a script which
reads my /etc/fstab file and mounts what is there, including smbfs
file types.
Add this line to your fstab file:
//JHAMMER6/public          /mnt/NetWork/JHAMMER6   smbfs   defaults,guest
Reboot, and maybe all will be well. On my machine, root is the owner and
group is root, as well. But, you can adjust these, I believe, by options
in your fstab file.  You may have to read your startup script to see
how it handles options.

2. This following works for me in rc.local, as well:
/usr/local/bin/MountNet
where MountNet is:
#!/bin/sh
mount -t smbfs    //jhammer6/public /mnt/NetWork/JHAMMER6 -o guest

I do not have any password issues here because the share //jhammer6/public
allows guests access. In my smb.conf on the server I have security =
share and guest account = ftp and guest ok = yes.

Joel