[Samba] printer driver installation yet again (as if anyone here cared...)

peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Thu Feb 28 17:14:03 GMT 2002

Hi Mathias,
I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help, but at least you
know someone read your message.
I guess most people only read the messages if they find
the subject interesting, or if they have recently dealt with
the subject.

In my case, I have just been learning about the driver upload/download.

Just out of curiosity, which version of Samba are you using?

-peter

     Hi,

     got a samba server which serves tons of printers. ok, 70. With some of
     them, driver installation from a win2k client works, with some it
     doesnt. printers are ALL configured the same in smb.conf:

     [(name in unix printing system)]
          comment = model of printer
          path = /tmp
          printable = yes
          browseable = yes

     for example:
     [ljwasat]
          comment = Hewlett Packard LaserJet 4000 N
          path = /tmp
          printable = Yes

     [ljwega]
          comment = Hewlett Packard LaserJet 4050 N
          path = /tmp
          printable = Yes

     now comes the trick part: when I go to 'new driver' in the printer
     properties dialogbox for ljwega and set a new driver, driver gets
     uploaded to samba server. when I do the same for ljwasat, the driver is
     installed locally.

     any hints?

     in fact, does anybody READ this?

     bye
          MH

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads,
Queensland Transport or National Transport Secretariat, or
endorsed organisations utilising the same infrastructure.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete the message
from your computer.