[Samba] Tuning for > thousand users

ard at waikato.ac.nz ard at waikato.ac.nz
Thu Feb 28 13:21:10 GMT 2002

Hi troops.

I'm expected many hundreds of clients on my new Samba server, and am
concerned about excess paging.

Each smbd is about 3.8M (according to "ps", "top" disagrees), of which
about 2M is resident, about 1.2M shared.  I've got syslog logging and
utmp in there, both of which I could do without.  Quotas are for keeps.

So I rebuilt without syslog and utmp (respect and thanks to whomever
ensured Samba builds with "-j"), and recovered a whopping six kilobytes
out of a 1.5M binary.

So I guess that's that.  What's the leanest way to build smbd?

Also, does anybody have any tips for tuning a 2.4.18 kernel for masses of
relatively idle smbd processes?

Thanks in advance!