[Samba] access denied on printing from win2k?

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Feb 28 07:32:14 GMT 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Peter Benie wrote:

> Remco van Essen writes ("[Samba] access denied on printing from win2k?"):
> > I guess this snippet from the log has something to do with it:
> >
> > "
> > [2002/02/22 15:06:15, 0] printing/printing.c:print_job_start(926)
> >   print_job_start: insufficient permissions to open spool file
> > /var/spool/lpd/printer01/smbprn.s9gmRw.
>
> We've also had this problem in samba 2.2.1 and 2.2.2.
>
> Most of the time, print jobs run okay, however, some of the time, the
> job spools as the 'nobody' user (perms 0600) but the print command is
> run as the correct (authenticated) user. Since that user can't read
> the spool file, printing fails.

I've seen a bug in Windows NT 4.0 (don't remember about 2k) where
the spooler service (I assume) issues an anonymous connection
to IPC$ even though the local user has valid credentials to
use.  SPOOLSS calls are then issued on this TID which resulted
in access checks using "nobody".  I wonder if this is what you are
seeing.

cheers, jerry