[Samba] Mounting smbfs as guest at boot time

Sue Spence suespence99 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 05:39:03 GMT 2002

Thanks for your response.

That isn't the case here (on SuSE linux boot.local
happens just before all the /etc/rcX.d/ stuff), but I
believe it's a red herring anyway.

If I attempt to mount the share as 'guest' during boot
(either in boot.local or later during
/etc/rc2.d/S11smbfs), it will always fail. Performing
the exact same operation after login  always succeeds.

If I attempt to do the mount the share using a valid
username/password on the win2k server during the boot
process, it will always succeed.

As I mentioned in my original message, I'd like it to
work as guest. We only want the shares mounted
read-only, and we don't administer the win2k box, and
putting passwords for the win2k system in my fstab or
anywhere else seems like a really bad idea.  I
understand that there is some sort of credential thing
we could set up, but that is far more admin work than
we wanted to get into for a read-only filesystem. Why
doesn't guest work at boot up, but work any other
time?  Is there a good reason why it doesn't work?