[Samba] challenge/response password authentication failed

Luc Van Hoeylandt LVHoeylandt at cereus.be
Thu Feb 28 01:51:31 GMT 2002

hi,

I'm having troubles joining a win2k domain with samba 2.2.3a. As you can
see below I always get a 'challenge/response password authentication failed'
when trying to authenticate(. I searched the mailinglist but can't find a
solution.
After 3 days of searching i'm still stuck :( I'd appreciate any pointers you
could give me.

- On the W2k PDC I created a computer account (name:LINUX) the
'Allow Pre-windows 2000 computer to use this account' checked
- I joined the domain
smbpasswd -r NT2000 -j CEREUSBE
2002/02/28 10:15:59 : change_trust_account_password: Changed password for
domain CEREUSBE.
Joined domain CEREUSBE.

wbinfo -u show a domain grouplisting
CEREUSBE+TemplateCursisten
CEREUSBE+testje
CEREUSBE+testusr
CEREUSBE+Thierry
CEREUSBE+TLuijbregts
CEREUSBE+travelcomp
CEREUSBE+TsInternetUser
CEREUSBE+tvermetten
CEREUSBE+TWillaert
CEREUSBE+VBrepoels
CEREUSBE+vdb213775
CEREUSBE+Walter
CEREUSBE+Wim
CEREUSBE+WIwens
CEREUSBE+wvalgaeren

So far so good ;)

I then try to authenticate a domain user using wbinfo:

wbinfo -a CEREUSBE+LVHoeylandt%LVHoeylandt
plaintext password authentication succeeded
challenge/response password authentication failed
Could not authenticate user CEREUSBE+LVHoeylandt%LVHoeylandt with
challenge/response

smb.conf contents:

[global]
        workgroup = CEREUSBE