[Samba] Preserve username and date attributes when moving files to new server

Jon Gerdes GERDESJ at whl.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 00:35:40 GMT 2002

Sir

man mount says:

mount [-fnrsvw] [-t vfstype] [-o options] device dir

Mount options for smbfs
       Just like nfs, the smb implementation expects a binary argument (a struct  smb_mount_data)  to  the  mount
       system  call. This argument is constructed by smbmount(8) and the current version of mount (2.9w) does not
       know anything about smb.

Then man smbmount says

uid=<arg>
              sets  the  uid  that will own all files on the mounted filesystem.  It may be specified as either a
              username or a numeric uid.

gid=<arg>
              sets the gid that will own all files on the mounted filesystem.  It may be specified  as  either  a
              groupname or a numeric gid.

So, mount -t smbfs -o uid=<whatever> gid=<whoever>

I think that covers it.

Cheers
Jon Gerdes

>>> <troutb at abclabs.com> 27/02/2002 17:58:10 >>>
I trying to move some share from PATHWORKS on VMS.

My goal is to preserve the file owner and dates.
If I use a share from windows the file dates change.
If I use mount -t smbfs all files are owned by root but date attributes
are ok.

Has anyone done this?

 .... is there a way to map users with mount command?
 .... is there some other way to achieve this?