[Samba] samba spool problem...

Steve Jen kjen at nms.fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Feb 27 19:53:06 GMT 2002

Hi all,
I just realized that the samba print spool is no longer flushing its
queue'd print jobs even after it's been printed. In other words, the
spool will eventually get full during which no jobs can be spooled and
printed anymore.  I worked around the problem and inserted the -r
 option to lpr for the print command in smb.conf:

/usr/local/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s

That seems to have the print job spooled and removed real quickly at the
same time and I get the printout just fine without the print job still
sitting on the print spool taking up space. My question to all is what
your workaround is or is this the best way to deal with it? I read from
some samba sites that with the -r option it will print then remove the
original files! That's absolutely not happening to me (tested many
times) and I highly doubt that. I think it just removes the files from
the spooler and not the original directory...

Lastly, I'd like to find out the root cause of this problem. If I can
get a reolution for the root cause hopefully everybody can learn from
it. Any help is greatly appreciated...thanks in advance...

--
Steve Jen

The First Casualty of War Is Innocence...Oliver Stone
Fujitsu Network Communication - Network Management Systems
Email : kjen at nms.fnc.fujitsu.com
Phone : (408)895-1506  Fax : (408)895-1515