[Samba] Mirroring

Mike Westkamper mjwestkamper at weiinc.com
Wed Feb 27 09:52:21 GMT 2002

I have been running Samba for several years, in some pretty crazy
configurations. By in large it has worked extremely well. My company has
adopted it as our primary server and we have delivered several systems that
Linux/Samba are at the core.

I'm trying to address a new opportunity. The user wants to keep an NT server
as the Golden Copy and have many mirrors that actually serve the files. Only
the chosen few can update the NT server while a lot of folks will access the
Linux/Samba servers. I question the rationale, however the school's
administration is certain this is the way they want it.

I have it working using smbclient periodically copying the respective areas
to the Linux/Samba servers.

Here then is my question...

Is there a way to selectively copy only those files which are new or have
changed? The NT server changes less that 5% a day yet I am copying 100% of
the files.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Mike