[Samba] 2.2.3a printing problems: no printing from Word, spools taking up all CPU on clients

Steven Mackenzie sjm at activenavigation.com
Wed Feb 27 09:46:06 GMT 2002

Let me clarify my problem (I'm still sorting through what's been reported to
me ...)

I have 2 printers, an HP2200dn (network laser jet) and an Epson Inkjet
(parallel port).
Both of them have drivers on the Samba PDC, and are shared by the Smaba
2.2.3a (plus printing defaults patch) PDC.

I am using a Windows 2000 sp2 client, although some other people on this
network use NT4 sp5 and NT4 sp6 and experience a similar problem.

I can still print to both printers of them using, for example, IE6, with no
problem, so I think that Samba/CUPS is correctly configured. Also, I am
using the same configuration that worked for 2.2.2, and that worked in all
cases too.

I've done the cups logging that you suggested, and I don't see anything
there that is bad. (In fact the only thing in there is a lot of lines
similar to this
d [27/Feb/2002:16:58:57 +0000] copy_attribute(0xbadf438,
compression-supported)
which appeared when I sent my first job after restarting.)

I can *not* print to either printer from Word 97. In fact, if I start Word
and chose File>Print ..., then Word will lock up for a long time.

CPU usage is maxed out on my P266MHz, split between winword.exe and
spoolsv.exe.

What kind of logging could I use to spy on the negotiation between Windows
and the Samba PDC that would offer a clue?

===

Hi again.

We did a check on 8.1 with both 2.2.3a-1mdk and 2.2.3a-5mdk. Everything
seems
to work fine.

our cups guy suggested this:

-
>>------ Can you edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf setting the "LogLevel" to
"debug2",
>>restart CUPS and see whether in the /var/log/cups/error_log appear error
>>messages in the moment when Samba should pass a job into the CUPS queue?

If you don't find anything in /var/log/cups/error_log, it
must be a Samba problem.

Cheers
--
Sylvestre Taburet - Project Manager
Mandrakesoft S.A. - 43, rue d'Aboukir, 75002 Paris - FRANCE