[Samba] smbmount questions

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Feb 27 04:07:33 GMT 2002

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Peter-Paul Keulers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having some problems with smbmount:
>
> I'm using Redhat 6.2 and previously had version 2.0.6 of samba running
> on the box. Problem was everytime I tried mounting a windows 2000
> share on my linux i would have a 6 Gb limit (after copying 6 Gb I
> would receive input/output errors). I looked at the shares using df -h
> and sure enough it says the mount is only 6 Gb of which 0 free.

There is a 2G file size limit on smbfs.

If the share can only fit 6G then you are obviously going to get errors
after that. You are not saying if the share is actually larger than 6G on
the win2k side or if you are copying less than so.

> I thought this was a bug so I updated my samba to 2.2.0 this morning,
> but the problem is still there. Furthermore the smbmount and umount
> commands are gone and I can only mount the windows share using mount
> -t smb.

If you can mount then none of the commands are gone. When mount sees
-t smb it runs /sbin/mount.smb, which normally is a symlink to smbmount.

Note that samba is only involved in mounting. After that smbmount does
nothing, all the work is kernel side and you should consider updating the
kernel instead.

/Urban