[Samba] Possible big/small endian problem Samba 2.2.2 and 2.2.3a

PRETORIUS, Albert pretora at NORWICH-UNION.CO.UK
Wed Feb 27 02:33:06 GMT 2002

Hi

We are running Samba on an IBM zSeries mainframe on Linux kernel 2.2.16 and
are running
into problems when using winbindd and security=domain. We are doing a proof
of concept using
opensource and I really hope we can pull it off!
Before I raise a bug report, I would appreciate it if someone can tell me if
this is a known
problem. I have not found anything on it yet.

We have winbindd set up have 'security = domain' coded and use encrypted
passwords.

When client authenticates, we get the following error in the logs of Samba
(loglevel=9)

smbd/password.c:connect_to_domain_password_server
connect_to_domain_password_server: unable to setup the PDC credentials to
machine NTPDC.
Error was : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

If I look at   smbd/password.c   connect_to_domain_password_server routine,
it seems as we fail
on the very last call:

  if (!NT_STATUS_IS_OK(cli_nt_setup_creds(pcli, trust_passwd))) {
    DEBUG(0,("connect_to_domain_password_server: unable to setup the PDC
credentials to machine \
%s. Error was : %s.\n", remote_machine, cli_errstr(pcli)));
    cli_nt_session_close(pcli);
    cli_ulogoff(pcli);
    cli_shutdown(pcli);
    return(False);
  }

I have about exhausted all possible things to try. Also, this works 100% on
a Intel based PC with Samba 2.2.3a.
We compared the smb.conf files between the mainframe Linux and the PC Linux
and the only thing I currently
suspect is a big/small endian problem (mainframe uses big-endian and intel
uses small-endian).

Any help much appreciated.
thanks
Albert Pretorius
Mainframe System Programmer

This email and any files sent with it are intended only for the named
recipient. If you are not the named recipient please telephone/email
the sender immediately. You should not disclose the content or
take/retain/distribute any copies.