[Samba] Quotas and Win98 clients

Christophe Boulain Christophe.Boulain at ceram.fr
Wed Feb 27 00:29:13 GMT 2002

Dear all,

I've successfully setup a Samba 2.2.3a file server with quota support
 on a RedHat Linux 7.1 with Kernel 2.4.18-ac2.

Win NT clients (NT, 2K, XP) works fine, and samba report the quota
per user as disk capacity.
But Win98/ME clients don't. Samba report the filesystem capacity,
and even worse, users can bypass their quotas !

I solved the problem using a dfree script written in perl, but I'd like
to know if there is another solution.

I think this problem occured because smbd process is owned by root when
I connect from Win98, and by the user when I connect from Win2k.

Does anybody have any suggestion ?

Thanks a lot.

Christophe Boulain
System Manager