[Samba] Samba domain users VS "rogue" NT servers.

Alex Dawson alex at ee.uwa.edu.au
Tue Feb 26 19:49:02 GMT 2002

Hi All,

We're having some problems using Samba and supposedly "standalone"
rogue NT servers on one of our network domains.

When an authenticated samba-served NT domain user on a client machine
tries to access a share on a non BDC/PDC NT server that it part of
the same samba domain, the standalone NT server sends it a message
saying "Your logon time at NTDOMAIN has ended" and refuses to play
nice.

client machines happily let the users logon, and they are able access
resources shared out with samba.

Client machines are running NT4.0 SP6A,
NT Servers are running NT Server 4.0 with SP6A
Samba 2.2.3a using LDAP on a Sun E220R running solaris 8 as samba
domain master.

The following lines, among others, are present in our smb.conf file:

---
local master = yes
os level = 64
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain logons = yes
---

Is anyone successfully running an NT server as a member of a
Samba-served NT domain and having users able to use shares off this
server?

Due to the start of our university year next week, this is something
of some importance right now and any pointers would be much
appreciated. Yes we've left it a bit late, but we didn't have any
problems with the NT client machines, and assumed the NT servers
would be ok too.. :)

Thanks.
--
Alex Dawson                                    CSU - Systems Administrator