[Samba] Outlook XP on NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition & Samba

Scarff, Chris J Mr (GD) 513TH scarffc at MI513.gordon.army.mil
Tue Feb 26 10:57:03 GMT 2002

To start with, I'd like to praise the entire Samba Team, Samba 2.2.3.a
compiled and installed perfected. I wish all vendors could do that good of
job. Great documentation too!  KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK.

Now that the "cheese" is over with...

I posted a problem the other day concerning the funtionality between Outlook
XP .PST files and Samba 2.2.2 & 2.0.7 on Solaris 2.6

As it turns out, we were able to access the .PST file correctly from Outlook
XP loaded EXACLTY the same way on a stand-alone PC.  The .PST file was being
writting to a Samba server, two of them actually, 2.2.2 and 2.0.7.  At first
we chalked it up to be totally Outlook XP's fault (that would be easier to
do), but after installing Samba 2.2.3a on a Solaris 8 [10/01] workstation we
WERE able to read and write to the .PST files in our home directories
without any problems.

Though testing is not yet totally complete, it looks hopeful.  Unfortunately
we don't understand what the difference is which made the difference.  I
hope this information helps somewhat.

Conditions:
Accessing files on a Solaris 2.6 [Samba 2.07 & 2.2.2].  All works great,
UNTIL...
Accessing Outlook XP .PST files FROM a Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server
Edition, Metaframe 1.8 server.  All OTHER functions "appear" to work fine
however.  When "Sending/Receiving" email in Outlook XP, we get an access
denied message, though we could delete email out of the personal folder.
Weird!

Loaded Samba 2.2.3a on Solaris 8 (Rel. 10/01) server, Outlook XP works fine.
(within Microsoft's standards)

I don't believe the smb.conf files are the cause of it, nor the unix
permissions.  At first we suspected the Delete permission in NT not being a
UNIX permission.  But, that's silly, isn't it?

Please advise if you need more info.

WHAT I REALLY NEED NOW