[Samba] Could not open share folder from NT or Win9x

Inquiry sysadmin at vat.edu.vn
Tue Feb 26 08:39:05 GMT 2002

Hi All,

My Samba box v.2.2.2 is currently running cooperate with NT 4.0 PDC. Some
sharing folders on Samba box are set as guest access and read-only. Those
folder can be read rom all version of Windows. However, if I disable
guest access and specify the user priviledge access for other share folder
("SoftStore" in my smb.conf), I just can access from Windows 2000 & XP.
Otherwise, I could not access that one from NT or Win9x, even if I typed
exactly the same user name & password for that.
So, is there any different among Win2K, XP with NT, Win9x when
communicating with Samba?

Any help would be very appriciated!

Below is my smb.conf file for your review.

[global]
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        deadtime = 15
        level2 oplocks = True
        write cache size = 262144
        domain master = No
        dns proxy = Yes
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
        oplocks = True
        bind interfaces only = True
        lpq cache time = 45
        preferred master = No