[Samba] Drop in NT print server replacement; NT print names and NT share names-how to handle with Samba

Bryan Fetzer bryan2424 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 11:24:34 GMT 2002

Gerald, thanks .... samba rocks. however I am seeing
some success, although I haven't implemented the
server yet. It seems that the nt4 clients are gonna
make this pretty easy on me. i posted some of my
success at this link
http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=96509133&m=3120978773

here's an excerpt of what I did,

It is working. here's the steps I too to verify that
it is working.
1. Setup a test client nt 4.0 machine on the live
network. Setup every printer we have on it. (from the
current print server)
2. Setup a BDC on our live network. Then droped it off
the live network and put it on a Cisco Switch. I then
"upped" it to PDC level in it's own little world.
3. I then placed the Linux/Samba print spooler in the
same little test network as the two, I used NT Server
Manager to erase the old print server's name.....
4. went into smb.conf and changed the name to exactly
the same name of the old print server, also gave it
the same dns name and ip address (for good measure  )
5. Attempted to print from printers, and also look at
the status of each printer... ALL PRINTERS SHOWED UP
AND WORKED GREAT!!!!!!!

in fact all the "printers" on the clients changed
their "share" name to reflect the Samba server's share
name...