[Samba] Samba 2.2.3a, print queue status "opening," high server load

Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk
Mon Feb 25 10:57:04 GMT 2002

Sounds just like the problem I had

uploading the type 3 drivers from the windows2k SP2 machine
rather than using the NT4/W2K type 2 drivers solved this for me.
Both co-exist happily with legacy NT machines loading the type 2's. Solves the
hangups then you need to look at setting Default Printer settings.

I still have issues with permissions on settings that I can't seem to resolve
between w2k and NT4 clients.

w2k clients behave as predicted with users being able to
change document options but not printer default settings.

nt4 clients cannot change document defaults from printer properties unless
the user is a "printer admin" (or obviously admin mapped to server/root)

I suspect this is an area of development...but

  as a temporary fix/workaround I thought I might hack the srv_spoolss_nt.c to
 deny some of the catastrophic changes to printer admins (apart from root) and
 open up options re changing printer parameters. As I'm likely to get out of
 my depth here pretty quick a little feedback as to if this is feasible would
 be welcomed?