[Samba] User list problem on Win9x.

Max TenEyck Woodbury mtew at cds.duke.edu
Mon Feb 25 09:36:03 GMT 2002

I'm a bit confused about user enumeration on Win9x boxes.

I've got a couple of machines running SaMBa. One (M2Dual) is
running 2.0.7 with security = domain and domain server = M2Hub.
The other (M2Hub) is running 2.2.3a with security = user.

I also have three Win9x machines. All have user level security
turned on. Roving profiles work on all machines and all users.
Logon scripts run fine. They can all access the appropriate
shares and printers on the SaMBa boxes.

The problem is trying to set up shares on the Win9x boxes.
On one of them, the list of users shows up when the 'Add'
button is pressed while creating a share. On the other two,
a dialog box pops up saying 'not now' or words to that effect.
I've reinstalled Win95 OSR2 from scratch on one of the two boxes
that was not working to no effect (at least as far as SaMBa is
concerned).

Obviously, I did something to the Win95 box where user
enumeration works that I haven't done to the others yet,
but I can't remember what it was! Please help.

(If this has something to do with machine trust accounts,
exactly how do I reset the Win9x boxes. I (think I) know how to
reset the SaMBa servers. I.e. edit the line out of smbpasswd and
redo smbpasswd -a -m xxxx.)

mtew at cds.duke.edu