[Samba] security consideration

Ilia E. Chipitsine ilia at cgu.chel.su
Sun Feb 24 22:53:02 GMT 2002

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> - "Ilia E. Chipitsine" wrote:
> - >
> - > Dear Sirs,
> - >
> - > is there any program like 'crack-5' in order to break smbpasswd ?
>
> John the Ripper.  The best cracker I've used so far.

Does it understand NT-hashes ? I installed it, but it seems to only
support LANMAN hashes...

Also, I'm finally lost in its multiple options.
I'm not going to do anything but brute force attack on NT hashes.

What are the options you used and what is john.ini (if any ??).

Also, what is maximum length of password hashed by NT hash ?

Thanks!
Ilia Chipitsine