[Samba] Large Roaming profiles

Stefan Becker becker at lufa-sp.vdlufa.de
Sun Feb 24 11:47:03 GMT 2002

Hi,
as far as I know it makes no differance what server you are using.
A windows client will always download the WHOLE profile while
logging on and likewise copy to WHOLE profile back to the server.

This isn't anything that could be controled within Samba.  The best
thing to besides not use Win2k and roaming profiles is to:
a) MOVE the user's "Computer - personal files" setting to a fixed place
outside
of the user's Profile.
b) MOVE the user's "Temperary Internet Files" to a place outside of the
Profile.

this should account for 95% of the junk that gets copied back and forth
every
time the user logs on and off.

Again, I believe that any M$ Client will always copy the WHOLE Profile
without
checking timestamps between the two copies.

my regards,

Stefan