[Samba] Virtuall CDROM

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sun Feb 24 07:54:06 GMT 2002

* Gumpinger J?rgen <j.gumpinger at net4you.at> [020224 16:20]:
> Hi there!
> I want to use sambe to create a share on my linux server. This share is
> a directory on my server, which should look for my WINXP clients as a
> cdrom. Like a virtual CD-ROM.
> Can some one help me how to to it??

part of the following is guessing -- I have never done it myself the
way you want it. (This assumes a Linux OS, should be similar on other
Uni*s...)

To get "mount" a CD image that is stored as a file on your HDD to
appear as a real CD for all local users, do this:

* save a CD as an *.iso image file
* mount it (being root) with the following command:
  mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 /path/to/your/foo.iso /mnt/iso0

Check if you have a mountpoint of /mnt/iso0 -- of course you can use
another one. Also, you might need to create a device /dev/loop0 using
"mknod". (On my SuSE 7.3 I had loop0 - loop7 pre-configured.)

After this, your can access the /mnt/iso0 directory as you would a
mounted CD locally.

I don't see any reason, why you shouldn't be able to share it under
a suggestive name of [cdrome-drive-1] to your Win/Samba-Users...

Cheers,
Kurt