[Samba] Howto Samba and Win2K?

Anthony aslan at ispdr.net.au
Sat Feb 23 13:43:02 GMT 2002

Hi Daniel,

I know for a fact that Samba does NOT have to be set up as a PDC for Win2k
to use it. I've had Samba 2.0.10 on a RedHat 7.1 machine running here for
almost 6 months with Win2k, Win98SE, Win95b and WinXP machines all
connecting to it happily. Samba 2.0.10, to the best of my knowledge, cannot
actually be a PDC, so Samba 2.2.x SHOULD be able to handle Win2k machines
without being a PDC.

I noticed you had the setting "root directory = /usr/samba". Here's a
snippet from the smb.conf man page (taken from Samba 2.0.10):

  Adding a "root directory" entry other than "/" adds an extra level of
security, but at a price. It absolutely ensures that no access is given to
files not in the sub-tree specified in  the  "root  directory" option,
*including* some files needed for complete operation of the server. To
maintain full operability of the server you will need to mirror some system
files into the "root directory"  tree.  In  particular you  will need to
mirror /etc/passwd (or a subset of it), and any binaries or configuration
files needed for printing (if required). The set of files that must be
mirrored is operating system dependent.
               Default:      root directory = /
               Example:      root directory = /homes/smb

I see from your log files that Samba can't even write log files for your
machine. It looks to me like you've set the above root directory but not
mirrored the necessary system files as the help suggests. The system is
actually looking for "/usr/samba/var/log/samba/" to write your log files.
Would I be correct in assuming that directory doesn't exist? Try removing
that "root directory" entry and see if that helps. :)

Anthony.

At 07:00 a 24/02/2002, it was written: