[Samba] Re: SMB-server from Win2k -> RH 7.2 - Samba 2.2.1a seen in Network Neighbourhood but

Diembo Linux at deschuen.de
Sat Feb 23 01:39:02 GMT 2002

Hi there,
first of all I want to thank everybody who gave me good advise so far ;-).
Now it's the first time I can give advise, and I'm quite glad that I can
start giving insted of only taking now :-) !

Hi Petr,
Yes, I have solved my general problems as follows:
First of all you have to check your firewall settings, because that was the
major problem on my system. On RH 7.2 the netfilter is quite tricky. The
easiest way I figured out is to read the manpage of ipchains and editing the
file /etc/sysconfig/ipchains because there are the standard-settings for your
system. The very easiest way to do this is by making a backup of this file
first and starting the K-Menu->system->firewall-config (of course as root)
and setting (at least or even ALL ports) the smb-ports to allow (137-139).
You do this by putting 137:139 in the corresponding line and you should (only
for making it work though, you should tighten the rules later again for
security reasons, because the smb-protocol is a major security hole, you can
read a lot in the book "Mastering Unix, from Kate Wrighston and Joe Merlino"
if you are new to the unix-world, it is very easily understandable!) read a
bit about ipchains and netfilter before or while you're dealing with samba
(see below). You will also have to check whether the passwords are dealt with
ON BOTH win2k (or whatever) and your linux-box. I first turned the
password-encryption off (the reg-file and howto goes with the samba-suite
itself for win2k). Now, if everything is working fine (again check your
firewall settings!) you should be able o ping your  linux-box from windows
with it's hostname (default is linux). If it it still not working consider
setting up a wins-server on your linux-box (smb.conf: wins support = yes;
wins server = no #!!!; /usr/local/samba/lib/lmhosts: read the docs for it,
would be to long to explain every single detail here). Also, if things are
not working, again check if your samba server can be found by the
linux-mashine itself by issuing the command: nmblookup linux and nmblookup
<win2kmashine>. If everything is working you can try setting up encrypted
passwords on BOTH mashines (read encryption.html NOT encryption.txt because
you wouldn't find it, it doesn't exist as said in one of the howtos).
Remember that you will have to make individual smbpasswords (with smbpasswd
-U <username>; as root). If you have any more problems, don't hasitate to
ask, but no one is happy with: My smbpasswords don't work. why? as the
problem-report. ;-)
Also, before you do this all, I recommend installing the new version
2.2.3a because directories differ in the RH-distro and it seems fine to me
;-). Just make a backup of your smb.conf file and others if you need them,
uninstall und compile from source or download one of the rpms.

cu
regards,
Diembo

--