[Samba] .....Server.....

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Fri Feb 22 10:49:10 GMT 2002

Stephen M Brochu wrote:

> Hello,
>
>         I am currently running SAMBA with a
> little over 100 people hitting it a day.
> These people are pulling large CAD files
> through SAMBA. I am going to purchase a
> new server to handle this load but i'm
> not sure what I should look at for
> memory and cpu. I was thinking of doing
> a Sun 420R with 4GB of Ram and 4 cpu's.
> I really could use some suggestions as
> to what I should be looking for.

	If you're using a Sun now, I can
	help.  First, plan to measure your
	existing system, and secondly see
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/appb_03.html
	for some background.

	I'll need to sun sar -o (the low-load
	mode of that program) and a measurement
	program during a normal day, so we
	can see what's being done.  Then we'll
	do come sizing.
--dave
[ps: 4*420R CPUS will support ~82 MB/S of throughput,
     the equivalent of 149 disks and 7 100Mbit/S
     ethernets: I don't think it will run out of CPU]
Performance & Engineering      | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering, |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com