[Samba] Solaris and W2K

Jim Dickert jim_dickert at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 07:59:10 GMT 2002

I'm hoping someone out there has run across this
problem.  I have 20 Sun Ultra30 SPARC machines that I
need to get running in a university lab.  There is an
existing W2K/ADS server for authenticating users.

I have installed Samba on one of the Solaris stations
to test.  I have been able to join the domain and I
can see the users and groups on the W2K domain using
wbinfo.

The problem, and the goal, is that it does not seem to
be syncing the usernames and passwords to the samba
server.  The idea is to have one login for users that
already exist on the W2K DC and I thought samba and
winbindd would do just that.

Can anyone give me any suggestions?  I have the
following configured in:

/etc/nsswitch.conf  :

password  files  winbind
groups    files  winbind