[Samba] Newbie

Steven Mackenzie sjm at activenavigation.com
Fri Feb 22 07:40:12 GMT 2002

Here are my quick-start hints to a fellow Mandrake user:

0/ Check you've installed the samba packages, either on the command line
using 'rpm -qa | grep samba', or using the graphical Software Manager. You
need at least samba and samba-common, although samba-client will be useful
too. (In the latest Mandrake, they've broken these packages up further, and
they include samba-winbind and samba-swat -- basically, just install all of
the samba packages that you get offered ...)

1/ Set up swat, the Samba Web Administration Tool. This lets you use a web
interface to configure your SMB server, with hyperlinks to help for each
option. It might already be available - point your web browser at
http://localhost:901 on your new server.

On Mandrake swat is enabled using xinetd (see man xinetd), and the msec
security levels (see man msec) might have configured swat so that it is not
availabe by default. If not, then you'll need to edit this file:
/etc/xinetd.d/swat and change the
disable = yes
disable = no

Then restart xinetd, which you can do from Mandrake Control Centre (or with
'/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart' on the command line).

2/ Point your browser at localhost:901 again; use swat to try and set up a
workgroup to confirm that everything works ... First you'll need to fill in
the entries in the "Globals" section, then create some Shares in the
"Shares" section. (You want to set "encrypted passwords=yes").

You will need to use smbpasswd with the -a option to add your users to the
smbpasswd and set their encrypted passwords. (See the help in swat or 'man 8
smbpasswd').

SWAT offers plenty of help - just follow the hyperlinks.

I hope this is helpful for you :)

Steven