[Samba] Help with archive bit request

Noel Kelly nkelly at tarsus.co.uk
Fri Feb 22 00:32:14 GMT 2002

John,

Did you ever get an answer to this ?  I think we are experiencing something
similar although the problem seems to be only with files we have bought over
from our Novell shares.  We are running RH6.2 (2.2.20 kernel with ACLs) and
Samba 2.2.3a.

The backup software (Novanet 8 Alliance SP5A running on NT) backs up
everything up fine on full (of course) but using differential it simply does
not recognise the archive bit.

The reason I am a little confused is that new files created on the Samba
share are backed up correctly using differential and in the Novanet software
these new files do have a distinct 'A' attribute under the file listings.
This does not seem to correspond to the owner's execute bit - if I toggle it
on and off on the Samba share there is no change from Novanet.  There must
be another flag attached to these files which I cannot see inside
Samba/Linux.

Is your backup software (?) having problems with all files or does it work
with ones created on the Samba share ?

I have emailed Novanet Support on this and hopefully they can give me some
insight as to what is going on.  I'll post their reply if it might help you
out.

Noel