[Samba] Can't map samba drive from Win2K SP2 Server

John Violette jviolette at microageniagara.com
Thu Feb 21 13:35:03 GMT 2002

I am running smbd version 2.0.9 and cannot map to a samba share from a
Windows 2000 SP2 Server. I can however map from the samba server to the
win2k Server. I can also map from the Windows Server to a windows 2000 Pro
laptop on the same network, so I know that the server can map shares outside
of itself. I can also map from a Win2K pro client and from other unix boxes
to the samba server.

I can do a nbtstat -a IP_of_smbserver and receive the following output:

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [xxx.xx.xxx.66] Scope Id: []

           NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

       Name               Type         Status
    NS2            <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    NS2            <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    NS2            <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered
    COBALT         <00>  GROUP       Registered
    COBALT         <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
    COBALT         <1E>  GROUP       Registered

    MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

The map command returns the following:

C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc>net use r: \\ns2\ppttest
System error 1231 has occurred.

The network location cannot be reached. For information about network
troubleshooting, see Windows Help.

I can also do a smbclient -L ns2 and receive the following from the samba
server itself. This requires the password. I believe the samba server is not
allowing browsing or guest access which is fine. I just need to map with a
username and password.

[root samba]# smbclient -L ns2
Password:

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        ppttest        Disk
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Cobalt RaQ)
        admin          Disk      Home Directories

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        INET-MGMT
        NS2                  Cobalt RaQ

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        COBALT               NS2
[root samba]#

I can also do a smblcinet -L inet-mgmt from the samba server and get a list
of it's shares as follows. This tells me all the required ports are open
etc. I just can't map from the 2k Server to the samba server, but I can go
the other way.

[root samba]# smbclient -L inet-mgmt -Uadministrator%XXXXXX

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        IPC$           IPC       Remote IPC
        beepage        Disk
        pwrchute       Disk