[Samba] One domain w/ multiple subnets. Do a "join" for each subnet?

Darin DeCounter ddecounter at lvrj.com
Thu Feb 21 12:53:05 GMT 2002

We've got Samba 2.2.2 up and running fine on an RS/6000 (AIX) machine w/ NT
authentication.  We have one domain w/ multiple subnets, and need users on
these different subnets to have access to the shares on this machine.
We've tested from a different subnet than the one we originally ran
smbpasswd on, and it fails (prompting for the passwd to the share...when it
works fine from the original subnet).  I've seen the debug for smbpasswd
when it's issued and it DOES make reference to the subnet address that we
run it from.

So my question is...do we need to run the join (smbpasswd) from a machine
that's on each different subnet that we want to hit the shares from???  I
didn't know if this is how it's done since all the subnets are on the same
domain.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Darin DeCounter

Atex Assistant System Administrator
Las Vegas Review-Journal