[Samba] Samba and IEE1394

Tom Syroid tom at syroidmanor.com
Thu Feb 21 04:35:04 GMT 2002

The answer depends a lot on how your kernel is compiled (ie, your
distribution and how the creators of your distro elected to build the
shipping kernel). Linux supports firewire, but

a) it must be enable in the kernel by directly compiling it in, or by module
b) the box will need to have a card supported by the kernel

So STEP one would be to make sure the kernel source is installed on the
system in question,
STEP two would be to pull the correct kernel configuration file from
/usr/src/[kernelversion]/configs/,
STEP three, load the configuration file (make menuconfig) and look under
firewire support,
which will tell you (a) if it's compiled in, and (b) which cards the
respective kernel supports.

HTH,
Best,
/tom

--On Thursday, February 21, 2002 13:08 +0100 Anders Widman