[Samba] Samba and IEE1394

Homann, Mathias Mathias.Homann at airbus.dasa.de
Thu Feb 21 04:32:03 GMT 2002

Anders Widman wrote:

> This might not be the correct group to post to, but maybe somone could
> tell me wich groupd it should go to (as I haven't found any good
> ones).
>
> I have Windows XP machines with IEE1394 (FireWire) LAN. Windows has
> built in support for OHCI compliant cards and can use them as a normal
> NIC, but with 400Mbit.
>
> This sollution is cheap and alot faster than normal a 100Mbit LAN. The
> problem is now that I want to conect my Linux boxes to this LAN too (I
> use Samba for filesharing and a PDC) but haven't found a good way to
> make it work.
>
> Does anybode know how to do this, wich drivers/modules need to be
> installed on the Linux box?

there was an article in german linux magazine (current issue or the one
before that) about firewire on linux, albeit more concerned with video
issues... If I had the issues in my reach I could have a look, so You
have to try the website.. www.linux-magazin.de.
Maybe there's a IEE1394 Howto on the web, too.

bye
	MH