[Samba] CIFS Session transfer

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Thu Feb 21 00:37:06 GMT 2002

"Sivaselvam, CN" wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> I understand this does not exist in CIFS.
>
> My earlier question regarding transferring the already established CIFS
> session between a client and server1 to client and server2 transparent to
> the client is in this regard.
>
> I would like to know if this is possible and what are the caveats in
> attempting this?

This is not possible, excecpt by MSDFS.  In theory, it might be possible
for one host to hijack a connection to another, but it would need to
have full vuid/tid/fd tables before it would even start to look like it
worked.   The closest I can come is the suggestion (mad earlier) that
you could have one server 'proxy' for another, or a 'frontend' server
proxying for a number of backends.  (I understand some cluster
arrangements do this).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org