[Samba] Urgent information (legal stuff) about the future of SAMBA

Nick nick255 at myrealbox.com
Wed Feb 20 22:18:02 GMT 2002

I am sending you this email because of an incident which threatens the very existance of Samba.  Earlier today, the bnetd project was shut down to the DMCA.  Since bnetd is alot like Samba, I figured you would be interested.  Bnetd is a server that pretends to be a battle.net server (starcraft multiplayer).  This server was created by reverse engineering the communcations protocol, just like Samba was.  However, blizzard is now going after this project using the DMCA.  Since Samba, like bnetd, is a reimplementation of a propriatery protocol and server, I believe Samba could be in danger.  If Blizzard succeeds in shutting down the bnetd project, Microsoft could use the same argument against Samba.  Please take whatever precautions are necessary to either prevent or reduce the damage of such actions against Samba