[Samba] CIFS Session transfer

Sivaselvam, CN cn.sivaselvam at digital.com
Wed Feb 20 21:25:03 GMT 2002

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Andrew,

The MSDFS works on the DIRECTORY level. i.e. even before it establishes the
CIFS session, it identifies the correct CIFS server. If the server1 finds
that the directory is not there, it returns an error and the client finds
out where the directory is located from server1.

My problem is the directory is located in CIFS server1 and the client
connects to it. But the file the client is going to open from that directory
is moved to another server CIFS Server 2 for some reason. Also the CIFS
server1 fakes the clients that the file is still in CIFS server1.  How to
resolve this?

In essence I want "LOCATION TRANSPARENCY and LOCATION INDEPENDENCE"  at FILE
level and  I want the redirection to work at FILE level.

Barry,

I do not want  the CIFS Server1 to get the data from CIFS Server2 and server
the client. In this case there will be a big performance hit for large files
because of the two hops from Server2 to Server1 and from Server1 to client.
Also the file is moved to Server2 from Server1 to make the access faster. If
we are going to have two hops the whole purpose of moving file from server1
to server 2 is defeated.

-Siva