[Samba] Help needed with printer driver installation on samba-2.2.2

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Tue Feb 19 23:40:02 GMT 2002

On Wednesday, 20. February 2002 06:54, you wrote:
> I am trying to setup samba-2.2.2 on a sun sparc 5 running solaris 8/10 to
> provide point and install print services for PC clients.
>
> I have read through the Samba how to doco that shipped with samba-2.2.2 and
> have followed the sections 6.2.1 thru to 6.2.2 and still no go ...
>
> For nt4 and windows 2000 I have connected to the print server as lp admin.
> I run the install wizard, select the samba printing port and appropriate
> driver. The wizard shows copy progress of files over to the print$/w32x86.
> It gets to the end of the progress bar and up pops the following message
> for nt4 client
>
> "The operation could not be completed. Access is denied"
>
> The following message appears for Windows 2000 client
>
> " Unable to install printer. Access is denied"
>
> Below is a transcript of my smb.conf file

[...]
> [global]
[...]
> Thanks

Hi,
you do not try to install printer drivers but printers with drivers
(according to the error message).
So you are using the "Add printer wizard" not the "Add printer driver wizard".

As far as I'm right, the drivers are installed successfully anyway.
To install a print queue with drivers you have to specify the "add printer
command" option in your smb.conf.

If you want only to install driver files on Win2k you have to click right in
your "Printers" share and select "Server Properties" and than the middle card
"Drivers". On NT4 this card is not available and you have to choose an
existing queue, select "Properties", "Advanced", "New driver" and follow the
instructions. Or you may simply ignore the error message!

Bye,
Martin