[Samba] Linux and SMB using single passwd

Steven Mackenzie sjm at activenavigation.com
Tue Feb 19 08:46:03 GMT 2002

I don't use PAM, but I get the functionality that you want (I think!).

(I use 2.2.X as a PDC, but I don't think any of this is PDC specific).

I have
security=user
encrypt passwords=yes
passwd program=/usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat=*New*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *updated*
unix password sync=yes

This means I've had to set up a smbpasswd file, and have to use smbpasswd to
addusers to it after I've created their linux accounts. This is described in
the docs supplied with the samba code.

The unix password sync works, so smbpasswd can change both passwords at the
same time. It did take me a couple of goes to get the right password chat
though.