[Samba] SMB mount/umount probs

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Feb 19 07:45:05 GMT 2002

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Joel Hammer wrote:

> I have found this problem too. That is, if I try to umount a share from
> a crashed computer, umount seems to hang. However, if I am patient
> (about 15 or 20 minutes it seems) umount will eventually finish up and
> the share is umounted.

Please try one of the listed patches below (pick the one closest to your
kernel version). Reconfigure after applying the patch and enable SMB_POLL
in your 'make xconfig' or similar.

For 2.2:
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbfs-features-2.2.18.patch

For older 2.4:
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbfs-2.4.4-poll.patch

For later 2.4s this patch may help, but compared to the others it is very
very experimental.
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbfs-2.4.17-2.5.patch.gz

Moving the 2.4.4 patch to 2.4.17 should not be a difficult task, it may
even apply as-is.

The idea of these patches is to let the requests time-out in a more
reasonable time frame (30 seconds).

/Urban