[Samba] ADMIN$ share? What's this

Jon Gerdes gerdesj at whl.co.uk
Tue Feb 19 02:43:02 GMT 2002

It's Samba emulating a standard NT/2000/XP thing.  A share with $ on the end is hidden.  By default all hard disc partitions are shared out as eg C$ D$ etc.  Also you get PRINTER$ for your printers and your Windows directory comes out as ADMIN$.  So, when you go into Network Neighbourhood you wont see these shares because Windows doesn't display them.  smbclient will though.

They are still there nonetheless so to get at someone elses C drive you go for \\machinename\c$

ADMIN$ is there in case Windows isn't installed on C (or even called or winnt) such that \\machinename\admin$ will always find the Windows directory on a remote machine.

Cheers
Jon G

>>> "Christian Barth" <barth at cck.uni-kl.de> 19/02/2002 08:41:49 >>>
Hi,

I recently did a update form 2.0.7 to 2.2.3a. All run smooth. When
doing a "smbclient -L server" I now see a ADMIN$ share. What's this,
what is it for?

Thanks

Christian