[Samba] Logging Details

Damien Tougas damien at carroll.com
Mon Feb 18 21:29:03 GMT 2002

Hello,

We have been using Apache and WebDAV on one project as a filesystem for
Windows machines to access files on a Unix server. One of the nice things
about WebDAV is the fact that we get very detailed Apache logs which tell
us exactly what happened to files and when. For example, if a user moves a
file, the log would give the following information: username, a keyword
indicating that this is a move operation, the source location, the
destination, and a response code which indicates success/failure.

I would like to be able to get similar information out of Samba (i.e. I
want to know when users create, copy, move, and delete files). I have
turned up the logging and have managed to get all kinds of verbose output.
The problem is that the output is not very clear as to what exactly is
going on. In fact, one operation (i.e. a move) can cause many lines of
debugging information to be written to the logfile, and it can be very
difficult to decipher what exactly is going on. Is there any way I can get
more concise output from the Samba logging facilites that would make it
clearer as to what the users are doing? Or, are there patterns of log
messages that I can look for or parse which would construct a more accurate
picture? At the moment it just seems to be a bunch of reads/writes with no
apparant patterns that I am able to discern.

Any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Please respond to me directly since I am not subscribed to this list.

Thank you.

---
Damien Tougas
Carroll-Net, Inc.