[Samba] Cross Subnet Browsing.

Eirik Thorsnes Eirik.Thorsnes at fys.uib.no
Mon Feb 18 13:48:03 GMT 2002

Jason C. Leach wrote:

>hi,
>
>I need a hand setting up cross subnet browsing.  Does anyone have some
>good news group postings, or a HOWTO?
>

>I have 2 samba servers, and 2 subnets. Each servers sits on it's own
>domain/workgroup.  I think this should be much simpler than it is,
>and perhaps I am just missing one or two settings.
>
>Of the 2 servers: A, B I would like 'A' to do any serving or
>hold any responsabilities.
>
>>From 'A' config file:
>
>	os level = 64
>        preferred master = yes
>        domain master = yes
>        local master = yes
>
>        ; winis
>        name resolve order = wins host bcast
>        ;wins server = 192.168.3.11
>        enhanced browsing = yes
>        ;remote browse sync = 192.168.3.11
>        remote announce = 192.168.3.11/NKLOSM
>        wins support = yes
>

>>From 'B' config file:
>         os level = 62
>        ;preferred master = yes
>        ; domain master = yes
>        ;domain master = yes
>        local master = yes
>
>        ;name resolve order = wins host bcast
>        wins server = 192.168.0.2
>        enhanced browsing = yes
>        remote announce = 192.168.0.2
>        remote browse sync = 192.168.0.2
>        ;wins support = yes
>
>Thanks,
>j..

As someone else noted - be careful with this if you are on a net with
NT/2000 domain controllers....
Try to search the archives for this group for this question.
Basically - you need one domain-master-browser for each workgroup (domain)
(and one local master browser for each subnet / workgroup).
(So if your servers are in separate workgroups - then you need them BOTH
to be domain-master-browser).
In addition - make sure that ALL the machines talk to just ONE wins-server.

Eirik Thorsnes